1. Money
You can opt-out at any time. Please refer to our privacy policy for contact information.
Dana Anspach

Social Security Taxes and 401(k)/IRA Withdrawals

By March 27, 2013

Follow me on:

This reader has a great question. Here it is:

"Hi Dana,

I have a question about 401(k)/IRA withdrawals and Social Security taxes.  I know that any withdrawal is taxed at current rates and that the SS benefits are taxed at 50 or 85% depending on total income levels.

My problem is that my wife and I want to sell our current house, relocate and buy a new one.  We are both over 62 and both receive SS, total benefits approx 30,000.  To relocate and buy a new house requires that we withdraw about 60,000 from our IRA and 401(k)s.  I've looked at the IRS publications and the SSA website and my confusion is when they mention taxing the SS benefits they treat it as a decrease in long-term benefits.

Will I just pay the tax on the total income for the year that we withdraw?  Will the SS benefits stay at current amounts for us for future years or are they reduced because our income jumped for one year?

Is there a better way? Thank you in advance for reading this and your reply.

My answer:

"Dear relocating,

I think I understand your question. Let me offer a few clarifications to try to get to an answer. First, yes, IRA withdrawals are taxed at your current income tax rates. However, the taxation of Social Security is not as simple as 50% or 85% of it being subject to taxation. Your "other sources" of income (called combined income or provisional income) go into a formula and the result is anywhere from 0 - 85% of your Social Security benefits can be taxed. So it could end up that 12% of your benefits are subject to income taxes, or 77%, for example. This is recalculated each year based on your various income sources.

However this tax is not a decrease in long term benefits. I think you (or perhaps the info on the SSA website) may be confusing something called the earnings limit with a tax. The earnings limit says if you are collecting Social Security before you reach your Full Retirement Age, and you have too much earned income, then you may owe some of your Social Security benefits back. This earnings limit should not apply in your situation as an additional IRA/401k withdrawal is not considered earned income.

So, as you have described it, you would only pay income tax on the additional withdrawal, which may cause more of your Social Security benefits to be subject to taxation (which means more tax owed) but it would only apply to the calendar year in which this excess withdrawal (and thus extra taxable income) occurred. There would not be a reduction in your Social Security benefits.

Now, on to your question "Is there a better way?" There may be, but it would involve a lot more analysis. For example, could you use a home equity line of credit to come up with a down payment to avoid an extra IRA/401k withdrawal? Could you spread your IRA/401k withdrawal over two calendar years? Do you normally take IRA/401k withdrawals to meet your income needs? Do you have a mortgage? Will you have a mortgage on your new home? Considering all of this - including taxes - takes work - but sometimes it results in substantial expected savings by finding a way to coordinate your decisions to reduce your expected tax bill throughout retirement.

Hopefully this helps, and as you mentioned you are from Buffalo, NY, are you moving somewhere warmer? Leave us a comment below and let us know!

April 1, 2013 at 3:15 pm
(1) Bob says:

Hi Dana,

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my question. We’re considering Virginia towards the ocean.


Leave a Comment

Line and paragraph breaks are automatic. Some HTML allowed: <a href="" title="">, <b>, <i>, <strike>

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.